After installing wallpaper and flooring in Margot’s smaller Holdie house, I decided to give her Maileg mouse house an upgrade. I purchased a pattern on etsy and printed it on cardstock, so the total spent to add flooring to Margot’s dollhouse was $6 plus the cost of paper. Herringbone floors were more of a project than I had anticipated but in the end, they were worth it. DIY is not my thing but it was pretty easy! If I can do it, anyone can. Just like the last dollhouse, I wasn’t going for perfection but am happy with how this turned out. 

Maileg Mouse House Makeover

Adding herringbone floors

I was so excited to add herringbone flooring to my daughter’s dollhouse until I laid it down and it looked like this. Sad seam. So I did what any reasonable person would do and lined the paper up, cutting along the pattern to make a seamless edge. So much better. 

It got a little more involved, cutting along the shorter edges to line everything up. I just cut a single line alongside all the short edges leaning one way then did the same in the other direction. Much easier than trying to cut a zig-zag line. 

Lining up the seams

The seams looked a bit darker, so I took an extra piece of herringbone printed paper and taped it below the seams to lighten them. It worked! Then I applied double sided tape to the edges and a few strips across the length of the middle of the paper to attach it to the house. I’m sure it won’t last forever, but I didn’t want to do anything too permanent. 

I’m not sure if I’ll wallpaper since that sounds like a project and I’m not sure what to do with the windows, but the herringbone added some much-needed charm. It was involved but simple! If you have any Qs, leave them in the comments below. Happy to help.