Relationships

Find a Friend in Your City: October 2017

In March, April, and August of this year, I helped connect my readers with one another. Last night, I heard from a reader in Boston who is trying to adjust to life in a new city. Back in 2010, I moved from Los Angeles to Chicago and didn’t know anyone here, and my blog was the best resource for meeting new people, so it’s time (again) to use my blog to help you.

But before I do, let’s talk about these two girls and how I met them, because who doesn’t love a good friendship story? Jess was my horrible ex-boyfriend’s neighbor in Santa Barbara (and the only good thing to come of that relationship). I was leaving his place one day and saw her outside, so I pulled my car over, we chatted for a minute, and I asked if she’d want to get together sometime. We’re going on almost 11 years of friendship.

And then there’s Jessie. We actually featured her on The Everygirl years ago when she was a producer at Windy City Live, so we kind of knew each other but about 2.5 years ago, right before Conor and I met (and I was dating that guy with the secret wife, baby, and girlfriend), I walked past her at Soho House, we said hi, and ended up co-working. Jessie and her husband became two of our closest friends and didn’t hesitate to travel to Europe for our wedding.

I’m sharing these stories because you never know when saying hi to a neighbor or sitting down next to someone (or messaging a complete stranger through a blog) will result in a lifelong best friend. But right now, we’re going to turn to the internet.

HERE’S HOW THIS WORKS

Leave a comment with your city in caps and share a little bit about yourself. Before leaving your comment scroll all the way down to see if someone else has mentioned your city. If you see your city, reply to their comment to keep everyone together. If not, leave a new comment.

HERE’S A SAMPLE COMMENT

CHICAGO! I’m Danielle and have been living in the city for 7 years. I’m one of the founders of The Everygirl, have 2 rescue dogs, and love interior design and hibernating with a good movie during winter. Hoping to make new friends in the city! You can follow me on instagram: @daniellemoss_

Feel free to comment on this post on instagram, too, since that’s such an easy way to connect!

Please message me on instagram if you end up meeting someone!

142 comments
  • Laura Barrera

November 9, 2017 at 9:40 am
    GREENVILLE/SPARTANBURG! I'm Laura and my husband and I just moved to the area this summer. I'm a freelance writer who loves coffee, hockey games and being outside — love all the hiking spots around here! I met a woman on here from one of the earlier Find a Friend posts and would love to meet more people this way. My instagram is @bylauraroseb
  • Katie Deschler

November 1, 2017 at 1:38 pm
    MADISON! I'm Katie and I am a St. Louis girl now living in Madison, WI (the land of beer and endless cheese) if anyone from Madison or Milwaukee wants to meet up, let me know! My IG is @kmdeschler if anyone wants to follow or meet for a drink :)
  • Blogs To Read + People To Follow - LOVE ALWAYS, AUDREY

October 30, 2017 at 9:32 pm
    […] I love her sense of style and decor, and her honesty is refreshing. I also love her series on connecting women in cities–her blog has formed countless friendships! Check it out, especially if you’re new somewhere and […]
  • Emily Clark

October 30, 2017 at 2:36 pm
    CHARLESTON, SC! I never see any Charleston ladies on these but I'll give it a shot! I'm Emily. Originally from Oklahoma City, moved here with my Southern husband in 2012. I have 2 boys under 2.5 and don't have time for much but I enjoy girls dinners, books, Bravo (Vanderpump Rules!)
  • Sarah Byrd

October 27, 2017 at 11:37 am
    NEW YORK! I’m Sarah and recently moved back to NY after attending grad school in another state. I work at a law firm, and I love running, yoga, travel, and binge-watching Master Chef. I'd love to meet some other new (or veteran) New Yorkers! Instagram: @sarahbyrd
  • Samantha Jane

October 27, 2017 at 11:13 am
    CHICAGO! My name is Samantha, I moved to the Chi from NYC in May ‘17. I’m originally from Las Vegas & grew up in my younger years in Los Angeles. Studied advertising in college...Go St. John’s Red Storm Johnnies! Lover of food, site seeing, exploring/adventures, animals. @samanthajaaane Let’s hang!
  • India H.

October 26, 2017 at 10:02 pm
    COLUMBIA, SC! Moving back to my hometown next month after living in NYC for a year, and I'm ready to make some new friends! I'm a Freelancer, so maybe we could do a co-working space thing!
  • Claire Cole

October 26, 2017 at 3:18 pm
    WEST PALM BEACH! I'm Claire, and I've been in South Florida for a little over two years now. I'm a Midwest transplant from Wisconsin. I love reading, drinking black coffee and attempting to cook (I'm very much a culinary novice). Would love to meet and get to know some new people over a (very) cheesy pizza. :) Instagram is @claire_cole18
  • Lauren | Lauren Lives Healthy

October 26, 2017 at 12:51 pm
    PORTLAND, OR! I moved to the Portland area last year from CA, mostly for a slower pace of life. I work in marketing and love coffee shops, farmers markets, walking/yoga/swimming. In my spare time, I'm really into reading, cooking/trying new recipes, and trying to get more into photography. I'd love to meet up if anyone is in the area! Find me on IG (@laurenliveshealthy) or at laurenliveshealthy.com.
  • Jess Kossowski

October 26, 2017 at 12:02 pm
    DENVER!! Hi ladies, I'm Jess! I moved to Denver from the seacoast Maine/NH area back in March with my now fiancé and our cat Levon. Still trying to adjust to non New England life after having lived in Connecticut, Boston, Maine/NH but I'm enjoying the adventure of Colorado and I really appreciate Denver's love of happy hours. I currently work in finance and I'm into hiking, travel, fashion and trying to get back into running! I love lattes and a good cheese board~ IG: @jesskski
  • Camille

October 26, 2017 at 12:02 pm
    Denver! Just moved to Denver from Chicago and would love to get to know some new ladies! I work in digital marketing and love hiking and wine nights :)
  • Nysha

October 26, 2017 at 10:52 am
    LAS VEGAS ! Hi everyone I just moved here from CA about 4 months ago. I love to go out and do things during the day or bar hopping is always fun! All my friends live out of state so I’m just here with my gf and our new dog lol
  • Christina Morris Irvin

October 26, 2017 at 10:41 am
    CHARLOTTE, NC! Hey, I’m Christina and I’m new-ish to Charlotte. I’ve been in town for a little over a year. My husband I just started a small biz, but I also work in Real Estate! We are constantly navigating small business life, I also run a “life blog” called (en)courage. We also have a blind pup who we adore! We’re constantly on the go, which has made connecting with people here in CLT a little difficult! Things are slowing down though and I’d love to start meeting people! Insta is @that.girl.bean
  • Olivia Gruntkowski

October 26, 2017 at 10:30 am
    CLEVELAND, OH! Hey I'm Olivia - born and raised in Northeast Ohio. I'm currently working at a marketing firm downtown, specializing in social media. At home, I've got an amazing boyfriend and our recently adopted rescue retriever/boxer fur baby. I enjoy writing, interiors, a good cocktail and traveling! I'd love to make a few new like-minded friends in or near Cleveland! Instagram is @oliviagruntkowski Cheers!
  • Jessica Taylor

October 26, 2017 at 10:02 am
    ATLANTA! I've been in Atlanta (Edgewood) for 5 years now - originally from NC. I work in corporate finance and volunteer with a couple local non-profits. I love dogs, travel, and trying new fitness classes!
  • Brittany

October 26, 2017 at 7:54 am
    COLUMBUS! I moved to Columbus after I graduated college so I'm one of the few people I know that didn't grow up here or go to college here so I know what it feels like to move to a new city with few connections (I've been in Columbus for quite a few years now). I love beauty, fashion, and photography. I'm also currently obsessed with Pure Barre. I also have a lifestyle blog that keeps me busy! Brittany | <a href="http://www.thechicette.com" rel="nofollow">thechicette.com</a>
  • carla m holden

October 26, 2017 at 3:55 am
    LOS ANGELES! I’m Carla I’m a native Angeleno! I live in Hollywood, have my own business, love dogs, the grove and movie nights. Always love togather with new ladies in the city! You can follow me on instagram: @herbusinessboutique
  • Hilary Vreeland

October 26, 2017 at 2:11 am
    LOS ANGELES! (SANTA MONICA) I'm Hilary, and I've been living on the westside of LA for almost 6.5 years. I'm finishing up my second (and last!) year of grad school, becoming a marriage and family therapist. I love listening to audiobooks during my commute, going out dancing, biking on the beach, and meeting new friends. My instagram: @hhvreevree
  • Kayla Wolthoff

October 25, 2017 at 11:46 pm
    WILKES-BARRE/SCRANTON, PA! I’m Kayla, recently moved to PA but a Midwest girl at heart (Go Hawks!) l love a good cup of coffee in the morning followed by an even better glass of wine or beer in the evening. I have a PR/Marketing degree, hence I love meeting new people! Give me a shout if you want to hit up a yoga/barre class, brewery/coffee shop or adventure with me and my (coming soon) puppy! Instagram is @kwolthoff
  • Breanna Young

October 25, 2017 at 9:57 pm
    BLOOMINGTON/INDIANAPOLIS! I'm Breanna and a 2nd-year MPH student at Indiana University. After growing up in rural southern Indiana, I am loving the "city" life and the variety of activities that are available to enjoy. As I'm hoping to move to Indy or the surround area within the next several months, I would love to make some connections beforehand! You can follow me on Instagram: @_youngbreanna
  • Angie Schuster

October 25, 2017 at 9:28 pm
    PHOENIX! I’m Angie and an Arizona native. I work as a content writer for a FinTech company in Scottsdale. I have a black cat, love trying new places to eat and exploring AZ. I graduated from ASU in 2016. Since graduation, most of my friends have moved out of state and I’m looking to make new friends in the Phoenix area! You can follow me on instagram: @AngieSchuster
  • Caitie Donohue

October 25, 2017 at 7:35 pm
    NEW ORLEANS! I’m Caitie, I moved to New Orleans from NH to go to Tulane and basically never left! I like to go running in Audubon Park (mainly to see/pet all the dogs) and I just started spinning. I live in the Irish Channel and work downtown. Anyone else in NOLA?! Instagram:@bugzie11
  • Kathryn

October 25, 2017 at 6:54 pm
    TORONTO! I'm Kathryn - originally from the East Coast but have been in Toronto for 6 (holy crap!) years. I work as a custom cabinet designer so kitchens are kind of my thing - designing them and cooking in them! I'm lucky to have a good mix of coworkers, inlaws and group of my boyfriend's friends that's have adopted me but I'm missing the girl time and don't get back home so often anymore. Give me a shout if you're interested in grabbing coffee/wine/cocktails/beer/eats, checking out gallery/museum, or going on other adventures :) find me on Instagram @kathrynmdougherty
  • Virginia Schneider

October 25, 2017 at 3:46 pm
    NEW YORK CITY! I'm Virginia and I moved to NYC 6 weeks ago for a wonderful new job. I work in gemology and love going to the movies, trying new restaurants, happy hour, going to live performances (symphony, ballet, musicals, etc.) and at-home pampering sessions (face masks ftw). Follow me on instagram @schneidervj ! I only know a few people here and would love to make some new friends!
  • Lauren

October 25, 2017 at 3:32 pm
    BALTIMORE — I’m new to the city so looking for friends to explore it with! I work in health care. Still haven’t had crabs (the kind you eat). ????
  • Meghan Donovan

October 25, 2017 at 2:13 pm
    WILMINGTON, NC! Hi, I’m Meghan and I have been living in Wilmington, NC for the last three years. I am looking to make new friends, especially since I work from home. I love running, my dog, food and wine and traveling.
  • MacKenzie Condon

October 25, 2017 at 1:51 pm
    WASHINGTON, DC! - My name is MacKenzie and I have been living in DC for about two years, but I am looking to expand my circle of friends. I love books, photography, politics, flea markets, new restaurants and a good glass of sangria. Hoping to make a few new friends in the city! You can connect with me on instagram: @mackenziecondon_
  • McKenna Begin

October 25, 2017 at 1:21 pm
    SEATTLE, WA! I’m McKenna; I moved to Seattle from Washington, DC in June with my fiancé. I travel a bit for my work as a consultant, but otherwise love hanging at home, exploring restaurants & cocktail bars, and getting out of the city - and of course, planning our wedding! Would love some friends to explore the PNW with! Instagram is @mckennabegin
  • Kelly

October 25, 2017 at 1:18 pm
    ROSEVILLE, CA! Hi, I’m Kelly! I’m originally from the Midwest but moved to SoCal a couple years ago for love. My boyfriend and I recently relocated to the Sacramento area. I love dogs, exploring new cities and just having girl time with good conversation! I am on IG as k_cole!
  • Sigal Stark

October 25, 2017 at 1:18 pm
    SAN DIEGO! I’m Sigal and I just moved to sunny SD from a just as sunny Tel Aviv, Israel. I moved here for work and live by downtown. My fur baby, Stella is joining me in a few months. I work in marketing and would love to meet new people to make San Diego feel more like home! Feel free to reach out on FB/Insta/Twitter - all of which are under my name: sigalstark ????
  • Kayleigh Kavanagh

October 25, 2017 at 12:48 pm
    DETROIT! I'm Kayleigh and I've been living in Detroit suburbs my whole life. Currently in Redford, I work at Lawrence Tech and when I'm not working i'm taking long walks with my two dogs or hanging with my boyfriend! Would love to meet new friends! Instagram is @llcoolkayy
  • Yolonda J. Washington

October 25, 2017 at 12:48 pm
    HOUSTON,TX! BABY! Hi. I’m Yolonda, and I'm a Houstonian. I've lived here my entire life. I am a full time realtor and editor for Style Fragment. I have a dog name KOSPI, he's amazing! I love anything design, interior, design build, graphic, you name it I love it! If you live in Houston, let's connect! You can follow me on Instagram: @stylefragment
  • Jessica Merdes

October 25, 2017 at 12:43 pm
    CHICAGO! I'm Jess, and I am a recent grad who just moved to Chicago! I am starting my job at a public accounting firm. I am trying to meet some new girlfriends and branch out outside of my college friend group! I am SUPER into exploring Chicago, eating food, drinking wine/coffee! Life is busy, but having good girlfriends is super super important to me! Instagram: @jessmerdes_
  • Ashley Hammel

October 25, 2017 at 12:41 pm
    SAN JOSE, CA I'm Ashley and I just moved to San Jose in July from Chicago with my boyfriend. I moved here for a job and would love to meet some new people! I recently graduated from college in May from Indiana University and I love to cook, try new restaurants, go wine tasting, etc (I'm pretty easy going!). I would love to meet anyone in the Bay Area and my instagram is @ashhammel
  • Mayra Orduno

October 25, 2017 at 12:40 pm
    CHICAGO! I'm Mayra I've lived in Chicago for 10 years. I work downtown as a legal assistant, and on my free time I'm a freelance writer / travel blogger. I love to have a glass of wine after a long day, explore new places of the city, and I'm always down for brunch. All my girlfriends have moved away :( and it's hard to make friends when you're always working. My Instagram is @mayra.88.o
  • Heather M.

October 25, 2017 at 12:37 pm
    RICHMOND, VA - I've lived here for 7 years after moving around a bit after college. I'm married with a one year old son, rescue border collie and deaf cat. I went to Virginia Tech and love a good wine and movie or game night, trying out new restaurants in the area and travel (just got back from Greece!) Feel free to add me on instagram! @heather_beale
  • Colleen

October 25, 2017 at 12:29 pm
    LOUISVILLE, KY. Hi! I’m Colleen. I moved to Louisville from Chicago about 1.5 years ago. I didn’t really know anyone in Louisville when I moved, but I’m slowly but surely finding my way around. I love cooking and baking, going to OTF and trying new places for happy hour (best way to try out $$$ places for $) with friends! I love to travel and am working on a trip to Ireland this spring. My IG is @collwade :)
  • Taylor Lopiccolo

October 25, 2017 at 12:08 pm
    TRAVERSE CITY, MI! Hi I'm Taylor! TC has been my new place of residence since April but northern Michigan has always been my home (Cheboygan is true hometown). After graduating from Central Michigan University (CMU) December 2016 I set out to find a job in the TC wine industry and now I currently work at Brys Estate on Old Mission Peninsula with Marketing, Social Media, and Hospitality responsibilities! I love sharing wine and homemade meals with friends, am always down for a trip out to the Dunes for a hike, and during the summer I rode my bike downtown more than I drove there! I also work out at the Y if anyone's looking for a workout/accountability buddy...Lord knows I could use one! My IG is @taylorlopiccolo.
  • Elyse Engerer

October 25, 2017 at 11:54 am
    DALLAS, TX! Hi there, I'm Elyse and I just moved from Chicago to Dallas with my boyfriend. Starting out in a new city where you don't know anyone can be tough, but so far I'm really liking Dallas. I love cooking, playing with my golden retriever, and have a huge passion for traveling and planning trips! I'm also a foodie and love trying out new restaurants! Would love to chat and get to know some ladies in the DFW area. My IG is @elyseengerer. Let's connect!
  • Amy K

October 25, 2017 at 11:53 am
    CHICAGO, I'm Amy and I've lived here my whole life. A true city girl at heart I've lived in downtown Chicago for 12 years! I work a corporate finance job by day and work on my true passion (a life, style and fashion blog) on nights and weekends. Always open to making new friends who love to brunch! Find me on Instagram @latereverafter or my blog www.latereverafter.com
  • Ellie

October 25, 2017 at 11:50 am
    BOSTON, MA! I grew up in Charleston, SC but moved to Boston 10 years ago for college (Go BU!) and never left. I'm a catering manager for a hotel and I'm always down to try new restaurants or visit old favorites. My husband and I like to cook and entertain too :) My Insta is @elliebdurbin
  • Kelly Borchers

October 25, 2017 at 11:34 am
    BOISE, ID! I'm Kelly and I moved back to Boise about a year ago after being in Nashville, TN for awhile. I love music, good food, new adventures, hiking, all the fun fall things! :) I would love to meet some new people and chat over wine or good food. Message me via instagram if you want to meet up @kellyborchers
  • Lane Harbin

October 25, 2017 at 11:07 am
    NASHVILLE, TN! I'm Lane, a writer and content strategist. I've lived here for a little under three years and I've found the city to be a treasure trove of smart, creative, driven ladies. Always looking to expand that community (preferably over drinks or dinner at a new-to-me Nashville restaurant) so feel free to reach out. I'm on Instagram at @lane.harbin and my personal blog is www.laneharbin.com.
  • Cathy M.

October 25, 2017 at 11:05 am
    SUMMIT, NEW JERSEY! I'm Cathy and I've lived in the North Jersey area my whole life. I'm a homebody working in content marketing and a bewbie to indoor cycling. I am currently decorating a new apartment, trying to cook more (my BF usually does) and planning a trip to Italy next fall. I'm on Instagram: @catjmendez
  • Elizabeth

October 25, 2017 at 10:30 am
    PHILADELPHIA I'm Elizabeth, artist, writer, high performance driving instructor, Border Collie mom. Hopelessly addicted to Chanel shoes, cashmere and good coffee. Travel when I can, but particularly love London. I'm on Instagram @e30m3speedy
  • Lindsay Jill

October 25, 2017 at 9:41 am
    SÃO PAULO, BRASIL (probably a long shot!). I'm Lindsay and I moved here from San Francisco about three months ago with my husband and our cat and dog. I enjoy traveling, trying new restaurants, and blogging (when I have time). I'm on Instagram at: lindsay.jill and my personal blog is: www.lindsayjill.com
  • Michelle

October 25, 2017 at 9:23 am
    SAN FRANCISCO! I'm Michelle and I moved here from San Diego in August. I love dogs (especially big ones), baking, and am always down for a Nancy Meyers movie marathon. You can follow me on Instagram: @michelleannwilk